Truck accidents are ever too common on our roads today. In fact, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), 51% of all fatal crashes involved at least one large truck in the ten most populated states in the United States (Texas, California, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Florida, New York, Georgia, and North Carolina). The statistics are quite frightening considering how many semi-trucks are out there on the road today. Think about it, how many did you see driving to work today? Probably a lot.
Let’s take a look at what these statistics mean and what you can do if you are involved in a truck accident.
Did you know that many people are afraid to fly in planes but in reality, we have a higher chance of being in an accident on the road than we do in the air? Let’s take a look:
- According to the FMCSA, 50% of accident fatalities in the ten most populous states between 2014 and 2016 involved at least one truck or bus.
- In 2016, 37,461 lives were lost due to car accidents.
- Of those 37,461 lives, 4,564 of them were from truck accidents. According to the FMCSA, this means that 12% of accident fatalities involve large trucks or buses.
- Seatbelts play a huge role in the outcome of traffic accidents, including truck accidents. According to Large Truck Fatal Crash Data 2016, 39% of people who died in trucking accidents were not wearing their seatbelts.
- In addition, cell phone use is a huge cause of truck accidents. In 2016, 16% of truck accident cases involved cell phone use.
What You Can Do
As the statistics illustrate, trucking accidents aren’t uncommon. As an ordinary driver, there are many things you can do to stay safe on the roads, including:
- Always wear your seatbelt, no matter what kind of car you are driving.
- Never use your cell phone behind the wheel.
- Always keep a sharp eye on the road. Look out for other cars, semi-trucks, buses, and motorcyclists.
- Never drink and drive.
- Eliminate distractions. Avoid eating, doing your makeup, or any other activity that may be distracting to you as you drive.
While some of these may seem like a given, it’s easy to fall into habits and to falsely trust ourselves to do these things while driving. Together, though, we can make the roads a safer place.
What to Do If You’re Involved in a Truck Accident
If you’ve been involved in an accident with a semi-truck or tractor-trailer, a truck accident attorney can help you make a claim so you can be compensated for your injuries and any damages done to your car. This can be especially helpful if the accident was not your fault. A truck accident attorney can help you file a claim, represent you in court, dispute issues with either your insurance company or whatever insurance the driver or company of the semi-truck has, and help you understand all the legalities behind making a case. The truck accident attorney at the Quiñonez Law Firm is always ready to help you. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can help.